Sunday, September 13, 2015

Senior Seminar Fall 2015 Personal Introduction

My interest in aviation started as most boys in the 1980's did, with the movie Top Gun.  As corny and cliché as that is, it was true, I wanted to fly F-14 Tomcats and be a Naval Aviation just like "Maverick".  At some point in high school I learned that in order to be a Naval Aviator, you had to first go to college before attending Officer Candidate School, which was exactly that last thing I wanted to do- more school.  I instead enlisted in the Marine Corps, became an infantryman, a scout sniper, close quarter battle team member, among others in the elite Fleet Anti-terrorism Security Team Company (FAST Co.).  This is where the Knuckle Dragger term originates.  In the military, the special ops community, infantry (Grunts) are commonly referred as Knuckle Dragging trigger pullers, while pretty much everyone besides us are “of higher intelligence”, especially the pilots.
Following the Marine Corps I worked as a private security contractor for 8 years, taking me all over Iraq, Afghanistan, Africa, U.A.E, and more.  Another heavy influence of aviation for me is when I flew aboard an MD 530 Little Bird for 9 months providing aerial security for US Ambassador John Negroponte in Baghdad.  Best job I’ve ever had hands down.  One of our pilots let me sit right seat on a test flight (which was a completely foreign perspective after so many hours of hanging out of the side on the skids) and let me take the control for about 15 minutes.  Another moment in life when I figured out I was just a knuckle dragger- helicopters are extremely complicated and so much coordination going on at once.
The final big push to pursue aviation came while working in Somaliland, Somalia as the security advisor to a British company conducting aerial geological surveys for gold, minerals, etc.  The Pilatus Porter PC6 we had was outfitted with all that fancy equipment and didn’t have provide enough room to load up the entire team had the need to evacuate that lovey place quickly.  There were however, a King Air or two located at that dirt runway, and without having air support on call, I figured I should probably learn how to fly just in case.  My pilot started letting me sit right seat, then eventually left, and him being a CFI allowed me to log 18 hours, kick starting my path to my private certificate. Too bad I can't count those turbine and tail-wheel time since it was pre-private.

I am now currently working on my commercial certificate, about 20 hours or so left.  My major is Aviation Flight Technology, and I should be ready to graduate EMU spring of 2017, but that may get pushed a semester if I go back overseas for work this winter.

What comes after that? Good question.  The last time I had a definitive plan was back in 1999 when I entered the Marine Corps.  Since, one job has led to another, and another to another.  I had no idea I would be doing some of the jobs I did, or what I would do next.  I certainly didn’t plan on attending EMU when I returned from my last trip; I earned my private certificate part 61 out at Livingston county airport.  I think I’ll wait until the next blog assignment to expand upon that one… I do plan on earning my CFII, and MEI, but not sure if I’ll work out of Eagle Flight, or instruct at all.  I’ve been an instructor of many things for many years; I prefer to apply my skills over instructing.  I would also like to go work for my old boss overseas flying this time to build hours and experience.  I also wouldn’t mind marrying my extensive executive security skills with executive flight, that’s rare and in demand.  Another possibility is law enforcement aviation fixed wing, even better to make the transition to rotary wing.  Long term I’d like to find a corporate, commercial, or private pilot job that doesn’t require relocating, and do repossessions on the side.


As I’ve said before I think the Marine Captain would be an excellent guest speaker to speak to some of the young students.  I know for fact they don’t know how phenomenal of an opportunity and experience that would be, especially if they want continue to be in aviation.  As far as topics I would like to see more of, I like your current plan in the syllabus, with the exception of FAA medical reform and aviation in China.  I would like to see more about UAV’s in the US, and not the little ones for hobbyists. Also more about Emirates, Etihad, and Qatar, I have flown them a lot, super nice.  I did not know about that friendly sky’s agreement you mentioned last week, sounds interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment